Tuesday 24 August 2010

If I water the Geraniums.. Letter to Keyvan Samimi

Hello my dear Kayvan, and hello to my comrades. 
I am well ... but don't believe it. I found a chance to send a picture to my mother. When I spoke with her, she said she was ill but for your health, she's always praying and lighting candles. She asked me if I had any news from Uncle Kayvan or our other friends in prison. She said: "I hope they get released in this month of Ramadan, so they can share the Eftaars [evening meal to break the fast] with their loved ones, and reap the benevolent miracles of this month." She added that she's planning to invite uncle Kayvan, if he gets released, for a big Rashti and Kalleh Paacheh dinner that he loves so much.
I told her that uncle Kayvan's been on a dry hunger strike for some time now, trying to urge the authorities to transfer 'his children' from solitary to the general ward. And now that it's Ramadan, he begins his fast at dawn and ends it at dusk, with only water and tea... She was deeply saddened by hearing this. "I will light a candle and pray for all of them..." she said.
Kayvan jaan,
It was only five days into Ramadan when I heard about mother's stroke. She has died and come back several times in the past, but this time she's been in a semi coma state and kept in the ICU for three days now. I am worried for both her and you, because it was her who was praying and lighting candles for your health, my dear friend. Dad is also on his last breaths and very ill. The once jubilant and hope filled man is now bed ridden; quietly crying now and then. He has lost all his patience and strength. Unable to get out of bed, but whenever awake, his eyes are gazing out the window. With his stroke-induced slurred speech, he said to me: "I wish they come to take my life, through the window, without noticing anyone else. The angel of death likes to take everyone into the darkness..." I asked him how his heart is. He said his heart is in his throat, but the tenacity for life, keeps it still beating in place. He said: "The lovers' hearts never stop beating, even after death..." "There are many lovers out there whose hearts keep them going..." Every time I asked how he was, he would recite this verse. This may not make sense to those unfamiliar with his speech, but I understand him.
--"Sad is the question asked the ill ~~ Delight in knowing he's breathing still."
When they summoned you again to the prison, right after your daughter's wedding ceremony, I became so distraught, not even able to conceal my sadness during my talk with mother. She said: "Don't worry - when the Narcissus flowers in the garden, begin blooming; Kayvan and all the prisoners shall be freed." In my last phone call I asked her: "mother, have the Narcissus not bloomed yet? How come our friends are not free yet?" She said when she looks at the gold fish in the little pool in the yard; she sees 'your' freedom...
Uncle Kayvan,.
Let me tell you a few words about my life. Don't know why it's raining so much in this land! It rains and rains and the thirsty earth keeps drinking it all, but quickly dries up again; as though the earth and the sky are not friends anymore. Mother was saying that the streets of Tehran are filled with metal giants. The streets aren't safe anymore. People would trade their Fridays for few bitter laughers. Nothing makes them happy anymore; as if everyone has turned into wood and stone. And she went on saying:
"It's really strange. The grooms are afraid of wedding nights. Wedding ceremonies are being held in dead end streets. "Rabbana" is removed from the Ramadan prayers; they say the anti-revolutionaries are trying to use Rabbana!!! Somebody needs to tell these guys, Damned you, who is using religion as a tool for power and manipulate it any which way in order to maintain your empty power. They're running termites under the foundation of people's beliefs. What is lawful and Islamic today is deemed a total sin tomorrow."
My dear Kayvan and my dear friends,
I don't know where you will be when you read this letter. But wherever you are, do not give in to the angel of death; take vigilant care of yourselves and bring yourselves back to us in one piece. I would love to write more, but I just remembered that I must water the plants. Mother said: "If I water the Geraniums, they will pray for your safe return." She was right, ever since I began watering them regularly, their little green branches are held up to the sky, and they look happier with each passing day...
Kayvan jan, and my dear friends,
~ Stay with us, so the spring shall sing again...
~ For believing in tomorrow, I shall ride all night long...
~ Stay with us, so in the hopes of being with you again...
~ I shall say hello to tomorrow's sun...
~ Stay with us, so Hope can stay around longer...
I kiss you in my dreams...
I love you - and justice

*** Hamid Hamidi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.