Thursday 8 November 2012

The Latest from Iran (8 November): Death of a Blogger in Detention?

Blogger Sattar Behesthi with his mother0650 GMT: The family of blogger Sattar Beheshti have expressed fears that he died from abuse after he was detained on accusations of activism on Facebook.

Police seized Beheshti from his home in the Robat-Karim, southwest of Tehran, last week. Yesterday relatives said they had received phone calls from prison authorities asking them to collect his body.

Beheshti's sister told exiled journalist Masih Alinejad by phone: "Last Tuesday they raided into our house and took my brother with them....Today they called my husband and asked him to prepare me and my mother and buy a tomb for his dead body."

The website Baztab reported, "Sattar Beheshti, who was arrested by Fata [cyber] police, has died while being interrogated." Saham News, close to detained opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi, said Beheshti had died "under torture" during a session with security officials. It also quoted a family member: "They called us today and asked us to collect his dead body tomorrow from Kahrizak." 

The detention centre at Kahrizak became infamous when protesters were abused there, with at least three dying, after the disputed 2009 Presidential elections.

Before his arrest, Beheshti wrote on his blog: "They threatened me yesterday that my mother would wear black because I don't shut my mouth."


from EA WorldView: EA Iran

Posted via email from lissping

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.